Thursday, February 25, 2010

Vittorio Giorgini - 1926-2010

Hi guys,
Just received a sad call from Nino (Vittorio's nephew) letting me know that Vittorio passed away last night, February 18, while having an emergency heart operation that took 12 hours.
This is a sad moment while we all have to part from a wonderful friend and a great human being.
I can clearly state that he was to me a very dear friend and a major influence on my development as a mature man.
I am also very glad that in the last 7 years I had the opportunity to visit with him twice a year and share some fine quality time.
Please have a glass of wine tonight to celebrate a great man who lived a great life and had the chance to share it with us.

Salute Vittorio!!!!
Sam

2 comments:

  1. Hello Friends

    I have spent the week thinking of the many ways Vittorio affected me as a person and an architect. The more I think about it the clearer it is that I owe him very,very much. I and many of you were freshmen that fall of 1971 when he also was in his first year of teaching. Later others, who became life long friends did so in the orbit of planet Giorgini.
    I hope to send MT some graphic material of those times. Among the many contributions for which I'm eternally grateful is his demand that we draw and keep a sketch book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was a student of Vittorio in the fall semester of 1978, my last semester at Pratt. I never managed to live up to his expectations, in a way, I was not prepared properly for his class. Another way to say it was that I attempted a year-long senior thesis level project in just one semester.
    But I learned a lot. Some of my most interesting, perhaps best, work from that period was done under the influence of Vittorio. Aside from Gamal El Zogby, he was the most powerful professor presence for me at Pratt.

    ReplyDelete